Thursday, July 07, 2005

Cookin No. 2 - Tarragon Chicken

I am always amazed when things come out right in the kitchen. Though, my mind was with the civilians in London who have suffered a great deal today, I couldn't help feel some shame for my joy in the kitchen. Sometimes I think that listening to NPR is like a soap-opera, I am glued to my radio driving to and from work, and on my way home, I cried during the reports of death and causality. I couldn't help but think back to 9/11, that day was like a sour taste in my mouth, today I felt something similar, dread and compassion for the people who have to face the harsh reality, and realize that an arm missing is not a dream. I can imagine how England is feeling, and I certainly hope that humanity is not in a downward spiral.

My heart and prayers go to those who are suffering in the world today...

After a moment of silence, lets go back to the kitchen.
+++



Realizing that I am a little short on cash, I decided to cook a reasonable dinner for A and I.

Chicken in a Tarragon vinegar sauce with string beans and onions.

The chicken:

Two chicken breasts, with the skin and bone
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
3 shallots, chopped
1/4 stick of butterfresh chopped tarragon

In a skillet melt the butter, rub salt and pepper onto the chicken, and then add the chicken to the pan. Cook the chicken, on a medium/ high heat until it is brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Take the chicken out of the pan, and put it on a plate. in the skillet, add the shallots and sauté` for about 30 seconds, then add the vinegar and reduce to a glaze. After that, stir in the broth, and then place the chicken in the skillet skin facing up, and put a lid on it. Let simmer for about 12 minutes on a medium/ low heat, until the chicken is cook through. Take the chicken out of the skillet, turn the heat back to a medium/ high temperature, and add the fresh tarragon, let the liquid reduce a bit, and then spoon the sauce over the chicken.

The String beans:

1 pound string beans
1/2 stick of butter
3 cloves of chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 Vidalia onion chopped

Blanch the string beans by adding them to a pot of boiling salt water for about 2 minutes, and then shock them in a basin of ice water. This will bring out the green of the string beans, and make them nice and crispy. In a pan, melt the butter and add the garlic, sauté` until the garlic appears translucent, and then add the onions. Do the same with the onions, and then add the string beans. Add the salt and pepper, and sauté` until the string beans reach your desired level off cooked. Usually about 5 minutes.

Plate and enjoy.



Like I said, I am always amazed when something comes out of my kitchen that is great. It’s as if I wasn't cooking, but someone else took my place. The chicken was so tender and juicy, and the vinegar left a slight bitterness that really made the sauce. The string beans were delicious, and I gave most of the onions to A, who loves onions and butter. If you are not a huge onion fan, you should use about 1/2 of the onion, for the sting bean recipe.

I finished off 1/2 a bottle of Chilean wine, and I’m feeling pretty good and satisfied right now. A simple dish, but a quite excellent dish, I would recommend this as a fall dish, but it was good for tonight.Now the rain begins, and I am going to take my drunken ass to bed.

Bon appetite

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should keep including wine recommendations for your recipes... I won't tell all the people who read your blog that you hardly ever have wine that goes with your food. Oh, whoops...
;)
C. (the sometimes sous chef!)

1:27 AM  
Blogger lai said...

Quite true... I shall rectify this Immediatly...

Aghem... to the masses... i ALWAYS have wine that fits my food. Always!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home