Monday, July 11, 2005

Cookin No. 3 - Picnic Fun

Sunday was a gorgeous day. Hot, sunny with a slight breeze… this means, perfect picnic day!

To make a perfect picnic you need some very key ingredients.

Picnic:

1 Beautiful day
2 or more awesome fun loving people (for this event I used 10)
1 squirt gun per person
1 bucket of water
5 bags of ice
Some beer and soda
1 food dish prepared by each person
2 picnic tables
1 dog (if you don’t have a dog, no worries, I assure you that you will have fun)

You don’t need to cook anything for this recipe, just throw it all together, and enjoy.


+On Sunday the Kung Fu school that I take Tai Chi at, had their summer picnic. It was a pot luck affair, and we had a great time. I think the water guns were what really topped it off. Let me add, that I was the youngest person there, most of my classmates are 40 and over, and I think that we proved that squirt guns are not just kids toys. In the hot hot sun, we stayed nice and cool squirting each other. You can’t be afraid to get wet though, that takes all the fun out of it.

The pot luck dish I brought was a southwestern chicken salad.

Southwestern Chicken Salad:

For 10 people I used:
5 Boneless Chicken breasts
1 can of black beans
1 cup of sweet corn
1/2 jar of salsa (I used Wegman’s organic, what a great flavor)
1 packet of organic fajita seasoning
1 red onion
2 bags of Arugula salad mix
3 tomatoes quartered
1/3 stick of butter

Melt the butter in a frying pan, and rub 1/2 of the fajita seasoning onto the chicken. When the butter is melted, fry the chicken until it is cook all the way through. Take the chicken off the pan, and cut into strips or chunks (which ever you prefer for you salad). In the skillet add the rest of the fajita mix, black beans, corn, and salsa and cook until the salsa has reduced slightly and everything is mixing well. Let cool.
In the salad bowl, mix the greens, red onion and tomato. Add the cooled salsa dressing, and toss well. After arrange the chicken on top of you salad.

Eat and enjoy!

+The main thing I have to say about this is, if you are eating outside on a really hot day, like yesterday, leave the salad part out. The Arugula just melted outside, and it looked like a cooked salad. Nice and wilted. People will enjoy the chicken and black beans just as much as they will enjoy it with the salad. So next time I will leave out the lettuce part, and just bring the spicy fun.

This was also a good beer dish. I was enjoying a Dog Fish Head apricot beer during the festivities, and it was very sweet and refreshing. There was also a absolutely delicious ginger peach ice tea with honey and ginseng. MMMMMMMMMM I will get the recipe for you all, because that was just… yumm.


Bon Appetite

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog Fish Head, eh? So is the apricot not disgusting? I don't remember the name of the kind that we bought a couple years ago in Cape May, but that was not tasty at all. But if you say this apricot thingy is good, I'll have to try it.
C.
ps- check out the xanga for letter of protestation goodness

9:53 AM  
Blogger lai said...

perhaps you can come over for a tasting sometime... after you get back from maine.
eat a lobster for me... mmm lobster... butter... hee hee... my precious.... lobster!!!!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home