Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Cookin No. 4 - Sea Salt

So last night was more of a chill out and watch a movie night. The dish, chicken czar salad. The movie, Tortilla Soup (the Spanish version of Eat, Drink, Man Woman).

Chicken Czar Salad:
(for one person)

1 chicken breast
salt and pepper
1 large pat of butter
1/2 bag of arugula salad greens
some Briannas Czar salad dressing (I know, I was too lazy to make my own dressing)

Melt butter, rub salt and pepper into chicken breast and place into pan. Sauté until cooked through. Remove, and cut chicken into slices, let the slices cool and add to the salad.

Pop in movie and enjoy.

About salt, I am a bit of a salt snob now-a-days. I use French sea salt, and I have to say, that the taste is noticeably different than regular table salt. Sea salt is much more costly than regular table salt, but that is because of the unique process that goes into creating the salt. In Tibet, salt farmers travel for miles to harvest salt beds. They can only work a few times out of the year, and it takes them about a month of processing to gather the salt. In other cultures, women are the only people who are allowed to cultivate the salt, it is considered bad luck for a man to go near the salt while it is drying in the sun.

French Salt however is usually more unrefined than American salts, and it retains more minerals from the sea. Which means, this kind of salt, really brings out the flavors of meats and other cooked vegetables. I have tried chicken using both table, and sea salt, and I have found that the chicken has more of a delicious and juicer flavor when its cooked with sea salt, compared to the chicken cooked with table salt.

Salt has a very fascinating history. Throughout religions, salt has been considered a very powerful tool. The word “salvation” came from when scriptures of Catholicism were sealed with salt. In Buddhism, salt repels evil spirits, that is why its customary to throw salt over your shoulder when you enter a house after a funeral. Many other cultures consider salt to have spiritual purifying qualities.

Viva la Salt!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Magellan. I get such a kick out of you... a Czar is the guy who used to rule Russia. I think the dish is traditionally "chicken ceasar salad". ;) I think I like Czar salad better...Ceasar was a jerk, but Czar Peter the Great did some awesome things like create a navy from nothing. Viva la Czar!
C.

7:12 PM  
Blogger lai said...

HA HA HA... oh man... spell check is one of the banes of my existance. Curse you microsoft, you have lead me astray!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home