Monday, September 12, 2005

Cookin No. 22 - First Cuts and Dicing Onions



Today I got my first cut! Well, more like a collision. We were helping the chef with prep work for Wednesday’s banquet, and he put the station I was in to work dicing onions and peppers for a stuffing. So we diced onions, 3 pounds of onions, which really isn’t a whole lot, but enough to get most of my station sniffling. One girl’s eyes turned to red from crying that she looked genuinely upset about something, if she wasn’t laughing you would have thought her boyfriend broke up with her or something. Chef Duncan told us that we cried because we were breathing the onions in threw our nose, so I breathed with my mouth, and for the first time in my life, only one tear came to my eyes, and I was fine. Amazing! However I am getting off track, onto my injury… so I’m dicing onions, and I got to scoop the diced product into the bucket, when another girl goes to scoop hers as well. The tip of her knife found its way into my knuckle, and bam… the first cut of the class. I felt bad for the girl, Jennifer, she was so upset, so I told her it was all my fault, and I should have been paying more attention. In all reality, it was no one’s fault, shit happens. I just washed myself off, borrowed a band-aid from her, and went on dicing. The chef wanted to inspect my wound though, to make sure it wasn’t serious, but all is well. Now my knuckle is a little black and blue.



Most of the people in my station stayed after class to keep dicing and other work, and Chef Duncan told us that we were the high achievers of the class, and knew that we would all do well in the program. That made me feel really good. I intended to be a high achiever, and I’m glad that it can be seen.

This weekend was filled with work. On Sunday, I was the only employee who showed up to work, so it was just me and the boss working the shop. We made a good team though, and worked threw the tons of orders as fast as we could. It actually felt good to be working like a nut, and it seems that I am getting used to being on my feet for a long period of time, they didn’t start hurting until the last hour.

Onto studying for my sanitation final on Friday.

Bon Appetite

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home