Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Cookin No. 15 - Oysters and Resumes


The first few days of unemployment have been, kind of boring. I’m not used to this no job thing, since I was 15 I have always had a job. So this will be a good experience for me, learning how to relax.

On Friday, my friends Chris and Mat took me out to dinner, we went to Marblehead Grille and Chowder. It was a nice place, though I think that we were the youngest people in the joint. Our waiter seemed surprised to see us, and even more surprised when we ordered oysters. And then it happened, I ate my first oyster. It was… not that bad… I honestly didn’t see what was so wonderfully delicious about them, when people talk about eating oysters, they sound like they had the most profound and enjoyable culinary experience of their lives, and to be honest, my oysters tasted a bit like mussels. Don’t get me wrong, I love mussels, I could eat them day and night, so I did enjoy my oysters, but I don’t understand the hype. I think my major question is, are you supposed to chew the oyster? Mine kind of crawled down my throat too quickly for me to enjoy them in my mouth. They are very slippery.

I did some research on oysters, and did you know that they are a wonderful source for vitamins? I had no idea that oysters have vitamins A, B1(thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), C ( ascorbic acid) and D (calciferol). They say that four to five oysters supplies the allotted daily source for, iron, copper, iodine, magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese and phosphorus. I find that amazing.

Maybe people love oysters so much, because they are linked to Aphrodite. It was this goddess that sprang from the ocean in an oyster shell. And it is said that if you eat an oyster, you will fall in love. Hmm, well, I have to say I didn’t fall in love, but next time I try an oyster, who knows what could happen.

After the oysters were swimming with the fishes in my stomach, the weekend happened. Which I have to say was very uneventful, I mainly lounged around and blew my nose a lot. I really don’t like summer colds.

Last night I had dinner with my parents, and my father made Carbonera. Its amazing, his carbonera has such a flavor, that I have yet to copy. Maybe its because he uses garlic powder, but I will have to experiment a little more, and see what I can come up with.

As a going back to school gift, my parents gave me a book on truffles and other candies. I am so excited, some of the recipes look amazing. Ever since I have explored the recipe I got off of brownie points, I have been thinking about truffles, and here is the answer to all my questions. “Truffles, candies & confections” by Carole Bloom. With recipes like, fresh mint chocolate truffles, five-spice truffles and Madagascar bourbon vanilla truffles, I can tell that I am going to enjoy this. There are also a few recipes for marzipan, mmm, I love marzipan.

And now the rain starts. Today I am going to start on my resume, and start making a lit of restaurants that I would like to work for, even the ones that are a bit out of my league. I am also going to read a few more chapters out of my “Serve Safe Sanitation” book for school, which is already making me a bacteria nut.

Until later, Bon Appetite

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I think about it, the more I enjoy those oysters in retrospect. I talked to some people, and apparently the way to eat them is to load 'em with cocktail sauce and lemon and pour 'em down your throat, and chase it with a cracker. I think perhaps the oyster is just a vehicle for the toppings, and people like them so much because you'd have to be crazy to eat something that looks like snot, and it makes them feel badass. But I'd like to eat them again.

Oh, and you misspelled Matt's name, honey. ;)
C.
ps- we ate some truffles last night... I think the alcohol taste gets stronger after a few days' refrigeration, cause WHEW! BOOZEY!!

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home