Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cookin No. 10 - Crepes for the day




After Monday, I got the bad craving for zucchini, and I was thinking about doing something for that night, however when I got home, a strange desire to clean came over me. So Monday was spent scrubbing, vacuuming, dusting, and reorganizing. Thanks to this website: http://www.lifeorganizers.com/, I was able to find the inspiration to get up and run around like a mad woman. Most of the advice the site gives on cleaning is kind of obvious, but sometimes it is good to have a little inspiration, a little push in the direction you really don’t feel like going in.

Back to zucchini, I decided that after tai chi yesterday, I would have A over so I could try out my zucchini and crepe idea on him. I was moderately surprised at how well this came out, mainly because the only recipe I even looked at was the crepe recipe. For the crepes I used a recipe for manicotti, because A is lactose intolerant, and manicotti doesn’t call for milk.

Zucchini Crepes:

Manicotti:

1 cup sifted flour
1 cup water
1 T. olive oil
2 eggs
Pinch of salt

Beat everything together.

Using a crepe pan (or a flat skillet), heat on medium heat and melt a pat of butter. Pour batter onto the pan, if you want big crepes then use a large spoonful, if you want smaller crepes then use a smaller portion.

Zucchini inside (for two people, makes 4 crepes):

1 Zucchini (Take the skin off the zucchini, and then keep using the peeler to make long strips of zucchini.)
2 chopped shallots
Pinch of salt
Grated Romano cheese

In a sauté pan, heat a small portion of olive oil and then throw in the shallots. Let them cook for about 30 seconds or until they start to appear translucent, then add the zucchini and a pinch of salt. Sauté until the zucchini starts to seem like its melting. Take off the heat, put keep near the stove. Start to make the crepes.

Cook the crepes only one side, put the zucchini onto a portion of the crepe, sprinkle the Romano cheese over it and flip over the other half, and let cook.

Plate and enjoy.

The nice this about this dish was that the zucchini took on a different flavor with the Romano cheese. It was a very light dish, which was good for a hot day.

You will notice that I am trying to make this blog much more visual. So when I can, I am going to try to take pictures of my dishes, hopefully they come out ok.

Bon Appetite

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home