Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Cookin No. 20 - The Amazing Discovery of Cheese

So, it has been quite some time. I have fell by the wayside, and abandoned ship, completely neglecting this project of mine. I am so sorry. All I can say is that school has defiantly turned my world upside down. First off, I absolutely love culinary school. Second, I am dog tired. So far, we have been kept from the sanctity of the kitchen, and have been sitting in uncomfortable desks learning about sanitation and nutrition. Which are very interesting subject, but I am getting antsy to start cooking!

Yesterday, I took my first test in 5 years, and I received a 100! I am so pleased with myself. I am really taking to nutrition, and it is a subject that I may want to pursue in the future. Carbohydrates are fascinating. Today we discussed proteins, did you know that the discovery of cheese came about from cow stomachs? When an animal was slaughtered, they would take out the stomach, blow it up and dry it out, and use it as a container for liquids. Well cow stomachs have a naturally occurring acid in them called rennet, and when milk was added to these stomach containers, they found that the milk curdled and eventually turned into cheese. The history of food is amazing to me.

Anyway, I will make a better attempt on updating, because I want to share all my knowledge. However, I need some sleep now, I have just finished my homework, and my eyes need a little rest.

Until next time, Bon Appetite

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home