Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Cookin No. 33 - The Chicken Sisters














Jeremy and a chicken






So I get out of work around 9, and decide that I am awake enough to head over to the tap room for some internet access, and when I arrive who is sitting down smoking like a fiend? My friends Chris and Matt. So I sat my weary self down and had a good chat, and they have just existed the building. That was a nice surprise, I have been so involved in school and work that I haven’t had a chance to see many of my friends, let alone call them. I knew going into school that I was going to become nonexistent, but the shock of suddenly working on nights and weekends is still setting in. 9-5 jobs are nice, they allow you to have a social life. I kind of miss mine, but I’m having a great time regardless.

Work was great tonight, I made just the side dishes that are on the menu, because Wednesday nights are kind of slow, and to cook a turkey would be kind of pointless. I did have a lot of interested customers, and I had some good conversations. This job is great because my customers give me good ideas, and I can go home and try them. I also spent some time cleaning my station, when I first arrived at Wegmans it was a mess. No order to anything, and today it was driving me so crazy that I started on the spice rack. I put everything in alphabetical order, arranged the herbs so they were easy to find, and condensed a lot. It was fun, and satisfying.

We finally left 4 legged beasts behind at school, and moved onto fowl. I think that I processed 12 chickens today. We had so many, probably 100 for the whole class to de-bone and all that jazzy stuff. Chef Susan was walking around like a slave driver today, telling us to pick up the pace, but you can’t take her too seriously, she’s such a sweet woman. After the chickens were cut, de-boned, bound and more, we made the family meal. My group was in charge of making the buffalo wings. So we collected all the wings from the class and set them in the deep fryer. Then we made bleu cheese dressing, and I have to say, this was the best bleu cheese dressing I have ever had.

Bleu cheese dressing:

2 cups of mayo
1 cup of sour cream
½ red onion small diced
Bunch of chives minced
Garlic powder
Worchester sauce
Pepper
Crumbled gorgonzola cheese

I don’t have exact measurements for the garlic powder, Worchester sauce and pepper, just add things to taste. Mix up and enjoy.

I think that I ate more of the bleu cheese dressing than chicken. But I also had chicken liver for the first time. It was pretty good, we wrapped it in bacon and marinated it in a soy sauce concoction, pretty tasty, but I don’t think that I’m a liver person.

I felt like talking like Julia Child while we were cutting up the chickens, I loved when she did chicken. In one of her earlier episodes she arranged a bunch of different types of chicken, and ran off their names calling them the chicken sisters. It was a good laugh.

The lamb













Tomorrow we move onto turkey, so that should be fun. So until then, Bon Appetite my friends.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh! Turkey just in time for Thanksgiving! Ain't that sweet? It was good to see you tonight,man. I'm kinda surprised by the fact that there's no bleu cheese in that recipe for bleu cheese dressing. But gorgonzola's a nice flavorful cheese as well. I guess one stinky cheese is as good as the next, no?
C.

11:09 PM  
Blogger lai said...

Psst... gorgonzola is bleu cheese...

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.gorgonzola.com/
those crazy italians and their cheeses

if i actually liked blue cheese,
i think i'd like to try that dish
it sounds interesting, enough

now, how'd you go from "chicken sister"
to "willy wonka"?
~<3~

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad that you are doing so well with this.

soooo proud of you.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home